Feb 28, 2013

Why I'm NOT Buying Assassin's Creed 4

Assassin's Creed 3 was the most disappointing game of 2012. AC3 was proof that the series has hit a wall in terms of new ideas and innovative gameplay. Think about it. What was the major marketing point of Assassin's Creed 3? The setting. There weren't any ads about Connor's climbing ability, or his weapons. It was "hey America come get a glimpse of your history with Assassin's Creed's version of the American Revolution." I'm not going to lie, the setting is what convinced me to give Assassin's Creed 3 a shot. I was done with the series after Brotherhood, but figured enough time had passed for the series to be fun again. Boy was I wrong. Colonial Boston is nowhere near as beautiful or fun to explore as say Italy in the 1400's or the Middle East in the 1100's.

The biggest new thing in terms of gameplay for AC3 was the Naval Battles. Naval Battles are the fights between battleships that took place in Assassin's Creed 3. Many people who criticized AC3, gave praise to the Naval Battles. Some even used Naval Battles as an excuse to finish playing the game. I guess it comes as no surprise that Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is set completely around the idea of ships and pirates. Ubisoft is pretty much taking the one thing (some) people liked about Assassins Creed 3 and making it the center point in Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is apparently a Pirate Themed game set in the Caribbean. The promo picture being set on a ship is a big indicator that Naval Battles are going to be a focal point in Assassin's Creed 4. That's a bummer. I for one wasn't a fan of the Naval Battles. By the time they showed up in AC3 (around the 6 hour mark) I was tired of everything that made Assassin's Creed 3 up to that point. I was tired of the plot that was going nowhere. I was tired of running from one cutscene to the next. I was tired of a series that clearly hurt itself with yearly releases.

AC4 being announced less than 6 months after the release of Assassins Creed 3 is a huge red flag for me. It more than likely will be available this holiday season which means Ubisoft learned nothing from it's mistakes in AC3. What I liked about the Assassin's Creed series was actually being an assassin. Nothing made me happier than climbing structures and stealthily killing people. I'd have fun climbing each viewpoint no matter how repetitive it was to jump in a stack of hay. I loved searching for treasure before AC 3 added a stupid lockpick minigame to the mix. If AC4 can go back to a beautiful city with gorgeous skyscrapers and fun gameplay, I'd be more than excited for it.

Will Assassin's Creed 4 remind me of the things I love about the series, or will it be another snoozefest with more cutscenes than actual gameplay? That remains to be seen, but if it's coming at the end of the year. I almost guarantee it won't be much different from AC3. That means more running from cutscene to cutscene combined with a boring character, boring location, and a boring story. If that's the case I'll gladly pass on Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag. I'll wait for the reviews before I decide whether or not to give this game a try.

7 comments:

  1. you are an idiot and most of your arguments are based in your idiotic musings rather than fact. Ubisoft has addressed the climbing and stealth issues, both of which will be brought back as integral facets of AC4. and the naval combat is, and I quote, "40% of the missions". In case you're not familiar with the idea of percentage, that is literally less than half the game. Next time you decide to bash on a game series that is obviously doing very well, considering the fact that it's been a major game for the past 5 years, do your research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The game is leaning toward a more fluid gameplay, with almost no cutscenes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing, my name for an old game I played is Edward Kenway, it was a random name I thought up years past. Anyway, Anonymous guy here has a very good point, you don't have a lot of the facts straight, I understand your loss for the series, I and my friends miss the good days of 1,2, and Brotherhood climbing and assassination from rooftops. I think Ubisoft is just trying to expand the Idea from something so compact and little into a huge universe of different possibilities. Personally I want to see it, I admit I didn't care for the first 2 hours of playing as Haytham Kenway or young Connor, but I eventually tried new things. Good luck playing other games!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what i know, ac 4 started being made around ac 2 or something like that. You can stealthy kill people, and if you think that you can't do that, you apperently played ac 3 (or wherever you got that from ) wrong. :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. your a fucking dumb ass good sir

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, were you wrong, everybody and their mother loves Assassin's Creed IV, but I gotta give you props for the Jack Sparrow thing, now THAT was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice website, the site is very interesting, a lot of helpful articles and the latest news that arouse interest. nice!!
    obat kanker uretra tanpa kemoterapi
    cara alami menyembuhkan abses otak
    obat stomatitis herbal

    ReplyDelete